Saturday, November 19, 2011

It's That Time of Year Again

Yes, that's right.  I've been at this long enough now for it to have come again.  Just like it did last year.  And the year before that.  And yes, every year prior to those, as well.

It's that time.  Time for the Ordeal of the Dead Bird, more conventionally known as Thanksgiving.  It's that weird American holiday that traditionally celebrates Gluttony, Sloth, Envy, and Theft.  Yes, I know.  It's Supposedly about things Other than that.  But let's be honest amongst ourselves, shan't we?   Overindulgence in food, lazing around to watch Football, Trying to 1 up our siblings on the year's achievements, and the arrival of land stealing, resource destroying, pollution mongering,  genocidal assholes (and those are just the European's GOOD points!) onto this continent are what it's all about no matter how much people might spout otherwise.

I detest Thanksgiving as a holiday, generally speaking.  Dealing with my relatives is never a celebration.  (Thankfully, this year, there are so few of them left as to render the whole familial line obsolete!)  Dealing with the shopping frenzy of Black Friday, when one works in the retail arena, is even Less cause to celebrate.  This is the first year that I've been able to tolerate Football (and I'm still trying to figure out how my current boyfriend managed to get me to watch - much less Enjoy - a sport that I've despised since prior to graduating high school) so I'm not exactly primed to be excited about the game.

Ah well.  At least I'm not the one doing the cooking this year.  Boyfriend and his room mates are doing that, and I'll simply be enjoying the fruits of their culinary labors.  (Always a treat, considering what an incredible cook the man is.  His roomies, not so much, but both roomies are at least adequate in the kitchen, so I am not forseeing any disasters.)

No comments:

Post a Comment