Saturday, July 31, 2010

After the Shindig

Its difficult on some levels to truly express things concerning Christina's party last night. This is not a Bad thing. I'm simply having a great deal of difficulty finding words that accurately describe just how much I enjoyed having a chance to finally meet & put faces to several of the names I've gotten used to interacting with in the GBC chat on IRC and reading their blogs.

I rode down to Texas with Mike (evylrobot) and his wife, Jenni. And the irony came home to roost concerning just how small this little mudball really is. I had, during the process of finalizing plans to attend this party, exchanged several emails with the couple - during the course of which, I had seen their last name. It was familiar to me from my own childhood and youth, but I didn't think much of it, as coincidences Do sometimes happen in life.

So. The three of us are headed from OKC down I35, stuck in traffic due to one of the construction zones of perpetual roadwork, chitchatting. And then Mike mentions something about his father that gives me cause to go, "wait - you're THAT Mr X's kid???"

After a few more minutes of discussing Mike's parental unit, we (I) came to the realization that I knew him. His father was one of my favorite teachers while growing up. And on more than one occasion I babysat Mike & his younger brother! Mike is all grown up from the last time I saw him, some 20+ years ago. And surprisingly enough, he's no longer the bratty little hellion that I remember from my teens.

The blur of faces and names to put to them is still a bit of a blur in my brain at the moment, as I sit here drinking coffee & sorting through all the various impressions I got during the course of the evening. A few folks stood out more than others - but all in a good way. I can honestly say that everyone who was there from GBC came across face to face exactly as I expected them to from seeing them in chat. And that was a rather pleasant surprise, to say the least!

The food was abundant and fantastic. And for those who were so fond of the Blackberry Pie (which disapeared as quickly as Bridget's Disappearing Appetizer which DanielS and his rather stunningly pretty wife brought) I will be posting the incredibly simple recipe in a seperate post within the next couple of days.

Christina - kuduos on a fantastic party, and a great time! You are, without a doubt, an incredible woman, and one hell of a hostess!

2 comments:

  1. That blueberry pie was delicious. Loved it. Can't wait for the recipe. It was very nice to meet you, Rhio. You make a mean pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Rhi! I had such a fun time, and it was wonderful to meet you!

    ReplyDelete