Thursday, October 4, 2012

They always ask, "But WHY?"

Those who know me well are aware that I am several things.  I'm not talking about the mundane "mother" or "girlfriend" or anything of that nature.  I'm referring to being things like an avid gun owner, an advocate for the Second Amendment, and a staunch Constitutionalist.  Inevitably, when people who don't know me well talk to me, and find out these things, they ask, "Why?"

Some of them want to know "Why are you so passionate in your defense of the Constitution?".Others are curious as to "Why do you own guns?  Are you afraid of something?"

The first question I'll answer later.  For the second, I'm frequently tempted to jokingly quip "I own guns, there's not a damn thing on this planet that I need to be Afraid of!"  Or perhaps to tell them, "A gun weighs a lot less to carry in my back pocket than a cop."  However, I don't consider it to be a joking matter.  Over the past few months, there have been a lot of net memes going around Facebook concerning the Second Amendment, gun ownership, concealed and/or open carry laws, and the idea that those of us who chose to carry a weapon are somehow "afraid of the bogeyman in the dark" or some unknown and unknowable evil.

Let me make this perfectly clear.  I'm not worried that there might be evil out there.  I Know that there is Evil in this world, and frankly, it is up to me to protect me from that evil.  It's a foolish woman (or man) who relies upon others to protect them from those who would disdain social order for their own benefit.  While I may sometimes come across as a bit of a ditz, I'm far from foolish, and I'm not fond of the idea of barricading myself in my home like it's some ivory tower, waiting for someone else to slay the dragons for me.  I'm no princess, and I can slay my own dragons thank you very much.

I'm not simply an advocate for Concealed Carry, the Second Amendment, or Gun Ownership.  I'm radical enough to be of the belief that it should be considered the Duty of every physically able and mentally stable person over the age of 16 to own their own weapon, be well versed in it's maintenance and care, able to use it accurately, and be required (like some European countries) to produce that weapon once a year (at Minimum) for inspection and proof of capability with it.    Yes, that's right - Everyone.  Male or Female; gay, straight, or bi; black, white, brown, yellow, bronze, or patchwork; of every religion; and every national origin in their ancestry.  All of us, without exception.

I of the firm belief that the Second Amendment IS my Owner's Permit and Carry Permit, and keep asking "Which part of 'congress shall make No Laws Abridging the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms' has our government misunderstood?"  The Constitution and Bill of Rights aren't simply a couple of old pieces of paper, of no interest except for their historical value.  They are pertinent today, and all that stands between us (the general population of the United States) and the ability of the government to turn us all into nothing but slaves of The State.  Not that they haven't already managed to do a pretty good job of that, as our rights slowly erode due to apathy, fear mongering by a "well meaning" nanny attitude in some parts of the population, and ennui.  It wouldn't take long at all for things that "can't happen Here - we're Americans!" to do just that - happen here - if we were to allow the Constitution and Bill of Rights to be set aside for some reason.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist.  No second shooter in Dallas, or unknown "Them" calling the shots of all the world's governments or anything like that.  Far from it.  I'm a realist.  Power corrupts.  Those in power typically, due to human nature, tend to want to Keep their power - sometimes by whatever means happen to come to hand.  A government which is not afraid of it's citizens inevitably has citizens who are afraid of It, instead.  And I don't intend to ever allow myself to become Afraid of my government.  So long as the Constitution and Bill of Rights are still in place, respected by the government and upheld by the people who are governed, I won't ever Need to be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment